Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Name is Jenny Campbell...


Why must we identify ourselves as whatever our occupation is? Whenever I bring a patient back, I automatically ask, "So John, what do you do for work?" Why is it so important for us to know what everyone does for an occupation? Why don't I ask what people do for enjoyment, or what people do to let loose? Most people don't like their jobs anyways... Yes, I am a Dental Assistant but that is just something I do to survive financially, what I do for fun is a whole different thing. My name is Jenny Campbell and I like teapots, fun colors, and old movies. I think that describes ME a whole lot more than me telling you I'm a dental assistant. Today, a very cute two year old little girl came in with her mom and I was the only one who could get her to smile and talk, and her mother was very nice as well. My point is I felt like these patients weren't laughing and talking to me because I was one of the girls who work at the Dentist, but a girl that they could relate to and enjoy my company. I would prefer to be liked for my personality then to be liked because I smile and nod at whatever these people are saying. When people are honestly interested in you, it is refreshing. They get to know you and you and not as your occupation. Little Annie did not mope because she was an orphan, she engaged with people even more and took care of all the other orphan girls. Yes, she longed for her parents but she still was known for her look on live, and her soft heart. She did not choose to be an orphan but she CHOSE to be positive and to love what life she has. Should we all look closer instead of just seeing "Orphan Annie"?

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Rosita. Yes, the world puts way too much emphasis on doing and not much on being. It seems like a loving thing to do would be to come up with some of those deeper, soul uncovering type questions and comments, huh? Instead of greeting people with, "What have you been up to?" how about "What have you been thinking about lately?" This would hopefully lead to some real soul connections and depth in our relationships. You are a smarty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, It reminds me of "The Little Prince" as big people we always as the wrong questions and miss the truly important things about eachother!

    ReplyDelete