Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Peasant Meal




I never really liked the thought of cabbage... Not because I had ever tasted it - but just the word sounds so icky... Cabbage? Well, one day a girl from work had it cooked and bathed it black pepper, and it was good! So - while we were doing our wal-mart grocery run - I picked up a head of "red" (it looks purple to me) cabbage. While I was searching the internet for a good way to cook cabbage - it mentioned somewhere that it is considered a "peasant food". The internet commends either boiling the veggie or frying it in some oil. I decided to use my oven though. I cut up some cabbage, sliced up some white onion, chopped up a medium sized carrot, and for giggles - put a couple pieces of broccoli in there too. I drizzled the veggies with some canola oil and sprinkled them with some black pepper. The oven was preheated to 375 degrees and the veggies were cooked for 20 minutes with the occasional stir. It was very delicious for a vegetable lover. Scott even was picking at it. Not bad for a healthy snack of light lunch?? When I think of Cabbage - I think of the New Charlie and The Chocolate Factory... Charlie's mama always was making Cabbage Soup.... Hmmm, I wonder how one would make cabbage soup?
Sam and Scott were watching some Tinkerbell. I love all the new movies. I really enjoy Fairy Mary. She's a sweet ol' chubby lady that says funny things like, "Teetering Teapots!" Scott seems to be getting a little tired of all the Mickey Mouse Characters. The other day he commented on how much Minnie and Daisy bothered him. Honestly - I like all the shows now.. They are always happy and have so little drama. Scott's more of a real action type of fellow. Today I was laying down upstairs, and little Sam came truckin' up the stairs, next thing I knew Sam was heading my way with her Lambie, Baby, and Blankie... I thought she might be coming to join me, but she handed them to me and made the sleeping sounds to me. I smiled and than she went back into her room, and came back with all her blankies - handed them to me.... One more trip was made and she was tugging her pink boppy behind her. Such a sweet little lamb trying to make her mama comfortable, I guess?

--Well off I go to Grannie and Grampie's house. Sam looks forward to seeing her grandparents... she is very lucky to have two full sets full of hugs and kisses.
XOXO
JRC

3 comments:

  1. Great post! What fun those sleepy days! I LOVE cabbage. Peasant food or not, it is pleasant food to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so sweet how she was bringing you all her napping paraphernalia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go with the cabbage cooking, J!
    Oh, that Sammers is a lambers.

    ReplyDelete